On Wed, 05 Jul 2006, Philipp Riegger wrote:

> >>I don't have them. But the kernel module is loaded. I'll have a look
> >>at udev now.
> >
> >They are essential, you want them.
> >From http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml :
> >
> >  Code Listing 3.2: Creating the nvidia device nodes
> >
> >  # /sbin/NVmakedevices.sh
> >
> >  If your /dev/nvidia devices are still missing every time you
> >  reboot, then it is most likely because udev is not
> >  automatically creating the proper device nodes. You can fix
> >  this by re-running NVmakedevices.sh, and then editing
> >  /etc/conf.d/rc as shown:
> >
> >  Code Listing 3.3: Editing /etc/conf.d/rc
> >
> >  RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes"
> >
> >  This will preserve your /dev/nvidia nodes even if you reboot.
>
> That solved my problem, thank you. I wonder why i never had problems
> with this before.

In my case it was because of a recent package upgrade (don't
remember what it was) followed by a etc-update, which changed the
line in /etc/conf.d/rc from RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="yes" to
RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no", and therefore a reboot did no longer
recreate the /dev/nvidia* devices. So I lost the /dev/nvidia*
devices. This seems to be already solved with the newest nvidia
drivers acording to [1].

Glad I could help.

Urs

[1]  http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nvidia-guide.xml