Hi,

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:04:41 -0300
"Claudinei Matos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm trying to use tun/tap to assign some ip to my server (since I'll need it
> to my LVS solution) and I think it's a trivial task to put tun to work, but
> I'm trying in 3 different machines (with 2  different kernels) and in both
> they when I try to ifconfig tun0 I get the follow message:
> tun0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
>
> Well, I'd try to look if is something wrong with my kernel configuration but
> is everything ok since it just need tun/tap support to be compiled (I did
> tried both module and built-in).
>
> /dev/net/tun is a valid character device with 10, 200 (major/minor)

...and, is at first all you get by enabling TUN support in the kernel.
See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/tuntap.txt for more
information about the ioctl() you have to issue in order to register a
tun network device (TUNSETIFF). The docs have a code example, too.

Oh, and I think OpenVPN has inbuilt functionality to create or remove
tun network devices (independent from OpenVPNs other functionality).

I've not completely understood what your usage scenario was, but maybe
a dummy network device is enough?

-hwh