Roy Wright <royw <at> cisco.com> writes:

> Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:

> > wrong. C# is a dialect one can use to create .NET programs. .NET is a
> > bit similar to the Java concept. But there are numerous other languages
> > one can use to create .NET assemblies.

> > Mono is an attempt to create a .NET environment for the FOSS world.

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_development_platform

> > -hwh

thanks for the info Hans,

> OK, C# was derived from C++, Java, and Delphi.  .NET is basically a byte
> code interpreter
> similar in concept to java's virtual machine.  I was wrong in not
> separating the C# language
> compiler from the .NET environment.  Mono consists of both.  At one time
> MS planned
> a bunch of languages for the .NET environment that could inter-operate
> at the byte code
> level.  I haven't heard what happened with that (probably because I just
> don't care about
> windoze and .NET).

> Roy

All very interesting, but, I'm not particular fond of Novell (too many
historical issues) so I'll avoid this sort of licensing. Besides
.exe as a file name, just pisses me off.....

The biggest problem is I'm looking for a tool, gui, or automated
approach to discover documents (html, xml, doc-book etc) that
go with the myriad of software pacakges. I do not need a
tool to parse my directories, I'm looking for a tool that saves
me time by producing a unified deliver mechanism for ellusive
documentation.

Like man pages for ascii text, but which covers all of the various types
and locations for docs. Collectively, a lot of time is wasted since
each individual has to search ebuilds, lib, share, wikis, web sites
and googling to find these documents, which sometimes exist and sometimes
do not exist, in a menagerie of forms.

thanks but, no thanks.

James