I've been running cups happily on this box for a couple of years.  It serves
print requests from two other computers I have, one running Ubuntu (also
running cups), and the other running WinXP.

With the upgrade to 1.2.1-r2 from 1.1.23, some probelms arose:
1) neither of the other machines can print through this server any more.
2) When either of the other machines is running at all, requests to print
   on this gentoo server lock up for just under 2 minutes before they
   get to printing.  If I shut down the other machines, printing returns
   to normal locally.

The error logs show a repeated error that doesn't ring a bell with me:

E [15/Jul/2006:14:20:18 -0700] encrypt_client: Unable to encrypt
connection from 64.166.164.53!

The config files changed a bit on the upgrade, and I did my best.  The last
go 'round was through the web interface (once I got that working) so they've
all been rewritten by cups.  I cannot claim to understand them completely.
Can anyone explain the @OWNER @SYSTEM things -- they sound good,
but I'm not truly clear on exactly what they do in cups.
I want to allow ports 631 (normal cups stuff from the Ubuntu machine) and
515 (LPD things for WinXP).

I've looked at the config files, and nothing jumps out at me.  The one mention
of encryption is in the /auth section, which I don't use remotely
anyway.  Here's
cupsd.conf:

# Show general information in error_log.
LogLevel info
SystemGroup lpadmin
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen *:printer
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
 # Allow shared printing...
 Order allow,deny
 Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
 Encryption Required
 # Restrict access to the admin pages...
 Order allow,deny
 Allow localhost
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
 AuthType Basic
 Require user @SYSTEM
 # Restrict access to the configuration files...
 Order allow,deny
 Allow localhost
</Location>
<Policy default>
 <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription
Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job
Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
   Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
   Order deny,allow
 </Limit>
 <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer
Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer
Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs
CUPS-Set-Default>
   AuthType Basic
   Require user @SYSTEM
   Order deny,allow