Hello,

I've been handed a new amd64 portable (HP-8000), which must keep
XP on it. To perform an installation, I usually use Partition
Magic, which has worked very well to down-size the windoze partition.
This system (suposedly) has another hidden partition that XP uses to
restore the OS, if the XP installation ever get's corrupted. NO XP
installation CD was provided.

I was wondering if any of the opensource repartitioning tools
have matured to the point I could used one of them in lieu
of Partition Magic?

In order to keep the XP installation:
Does it matter if I setup Gentoo on the portable first, before going thru
all of those windoze installation/initialization menus?

Any wiki examples (gotchas) on xorg.conf or make.conf (as this is my first
amd64 installation) are welcome.

James