My mistake: 700MB NOT 700GB.  Nevertheless, I mean to take a look at
your advice.

One machine is ordinarily at school on a sporadically fast connection
(but not during working hours, when it is slower than a dialup).  One
is a laptop, with the least HDD space.  The other (now crashed) is at
home.  The firewall at work makes it very difficult or well nigh onto
impossible to ssh into that box, and the box at home is only on line
when I dial in.

I want to set up a $DISTDIR.  An external disk would work.  When I have one.

Alan

On 7/19/06, Francesco Talamona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wednesday 19 July 2006 02:05, Alan E. Davis wrote:
> updates.  My laptop, with only a 50GB HDD, requires to download 700GB
> to emerge -uDv world.
It's very odd... I had a common repository for four gentoo boxes,
(various arches) and after months of upgrade it was less than 13 GB.
Packages installed in main system: 1225.

> It's time to thin down.
It's time to rationalize :-)

I have ${DISTDIR} (see /etc/make.conf) on an external disk, common to
all systems.

Ciao
        Francesco

--
Linux Version 2.6.17-gentoo-r2, Compiled #1 PREEMPT Sat Jul 8 07:47:35
CEST 2006

Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     1-670-256-2043

I consider that the golden rule requires that if I like a program I
must share it with other people who like it.
                                         --------Richard Stallman