Hi,

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:20:10 -0500
"Anthony E. Caudel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Basically looking for text readers, although PDF, HTML and others would
> be nice.  Need for it to be able to automatically save position, change
> fonts, fg/bg colors, etc.

OK, I don't know of such multi-purpose apps, not exactly meeting my
style :-) But anyway, you may want to have a short look at multivalent.
It's not in portage either, but it only consists of one .jar - it's a
java application. It's here: http://multivalent.sf.net

> If I can't find one, this may be the ideal time to learn how to do ebuilds.

That's an easy one. Although there's a handbook, I'd suggest starting
with looking at small, not too complex existing ebuilds. Create
yourself a portage overlay directory and configure it in /etc/make.conf
(see example file). Make a directory there, e.g. app-text/etr and
create the ebuild in there. When you've done the ebuild, you have to
create a digest using "ebuild etr-1.2.3.ebuild digest". Then you can
install it using "emerge etr".

But beware, wxWindows on Gentoo is not for the faint at heart due to
it's many versions...

-hwh