Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> thanks for the tip to "dispatch-conf". Again learned something new :)
> This is what I was just looking for.

I keep my /etc as a Subversion working directory. With an additional
script, file ownership and permissions are stored in an SVN property.
That way, I can always see what has changed after an etc-update (or even
an emerge, sometimes files are moved around), and revert changes if I
screwed up. Well, all the nice features of a revision control system.

> BTW: if you change some config file by hand, it's seems wise to add
> some comment, so you always get a hint in the diff.

That would be placed in a commit message.

-- Remy

Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.