On 7/31/06, kashani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Daniel da Veiga wrote:

> Releases are not very important for Gentoo, if you have a live
> internet connection (which is not REQUIRED, but will make your system
> a lot more useful with Gentoo) after the whole process you'll get the
> latest Gentoo anyway.

I think the idea is to skip the five hour gcc/glibc update by starting
from newer binaries in a hypothetical 2006.1 stage3.

kashani

Hi,
  I got stuck in that gcc upgrade problem this last week and
unfortunately couldn't make the upgrade work. After gcc-3.4.6 was
supposedly upgraded I started running into packages that didn't
rebuild correctly even though I *thought* I had followed the gcc
upgrade wiki faithfully. In the end I gave up and rubuilt the machine
from scratch. Probably took me longer but now it's working well.

  So beyond 5 hours, it's the confidence starting out that when you
get done it's going to be successful. This experience tested my faith
a bit.

- Mark