Pete Pardoe wrote:
> I tried to move to moidular X but it failed so I roled everything back
> but I
> now have a problem that has me stumped.

You filed a bug for the failure, right? Monolithic X won't be around
forever ...

> When I do an emerge -puD world
> there are a whole slew of packages that are blocked by a non existant
> package.  I have xorg-x11 6.8.2-r8 installed not 6.9 but get the following
> in front of all the blocked packages.  How do I convince the system that it
> doesn't have this package installed.
>
> <=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 (is blocking
>
> I have tried emerge --clean  x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9   and emerge --prune
> x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 and they both tell me that the package is not there.
> I have done a revdep-rebuild and an emerge --newuse --update --deep world
> and nothing has fixed it.

You may not realize "<=" means "less than or equal to," so your 6.8
installation would qualify.

If you want Gentoo to stop asking you to upgrade to the current stable
modular X every time you 'emerge world' then you may want to add
'>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7' to /etc/portage/package.mask.

Thanks,
Donnie