On Fri August 4 2006 18:29, dg wrote:
> On Saturday 05 August 2006 01:20, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> > Both Desktop and laptop run gentoo.  Desk will boot or mount a knoppix
> > or other live cd.  Lap, however, will do neither - mount returns "bad
> > superblock."  The lap, strangely enough, will mount and read a Scrabble
> > disc for Windoze.  Same with file -s; reads Scrabble fine, but barfs on
> > the knoppix.  Any hints or pointers on where on the lap's gentoo system
> > to look for the difference in behaviour greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Can you read (without mounting) knoppix cd on the laptop with something
> like dd if=<your_cd_device> of=/dev/null ?

No.  But it's getting weird.  I tried mounting a straight data disc - the
gentoo package one - and it mounted fine.  So, I thought maybe the problem
was just with bootable discs.  Trying file -s, the system froze.  I
rebooted.  Now, I have no /dev/hdc at all and lost /dev/dsp, too.  So,
something's wrong with udev.  It seems my entire system is crumbling.  I'd
commit the heresy of reinstalling if I could boot off a CD.