* Jim Ramsay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> Then you could do:
>
>  >=dev-db/mysql-4.2
>
> This would allow any mysql-4.1.*, including 4.1.20-r1 and 4.1.99
>
> Though you do raise a good point... it would be nice to specify a "real
> upstream version number" differently from the Gentoo "interim release
> number" such as -r2.  Can you think of a sane way to do that?

Simply normalize the version numbers to a fixed amount of digit
and use another one for gentoo's revisions ?

I'm using 4 digits at my own buildsystem, but sometimes the upstream
requires them all for itself, so we need some more, ie. 6

<snip>

> Masking
>  >dev-db/mysql-4.1.20+
> should allow mysql-4.1.20-r1 but not mysql-4.1.21

"=dev-db/mysql-4.1.20.*" seems to be cleaner to me.

Maybe

"=dev-db/mysql-4.2.20" could be considered equal.

cu