On 19 Jul 2006, at 18:31, Matthias Guede wrote:

Matthias Guede wrote:
Kris Kerwin wrote:
Hi all,

I haven't emerged my system in a while because of this problem, and
now it is getting back to me.

pam-login reports that it is being blocked by
>=sys-apps/shadow-4.0.15-r2. ...

Just unmerge shadow and update pam-login after that. And do not log out
between these two steps ;)

There is also a thread:http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic- t-443022.html

Do _not_ do this!

It's the other way around: unmerge pam-login and update shadow !!!

Sorry to revisit this thread so late, but I have got the same problem on a system that hasn't been updated in some months.

There seemed to be some very strange behaviour over this blocking and I ended up unmerging both pam-login & shadow; now indeed I seem able to emerge shadow.

However my question is this: don't I need pam-login anymore?

On this particular system /etc/pam.d/imap calls pam_winbind.so to authenticate off a Windows domain. Will this still work?

Stroller.