On 8/12/06, Daniel D Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
emerge -uav gcc

If I use the -u switch, portage tells me there's nothing to merge.  If I
simply do an emerge -p, portage says that it's going to install gcc-3.4.  How
do I identify what's telling portage not to update gcc?

This probably just means you already have gcc 3.4 installed, and can
skip this step (start with the gcc-config/eselect compiler step).

 If I follow the rest of the guide, is it safe (for reasonable definitions of
the word) to emerge
gcc without the update switch?

If you don't actually already have it installed, yes, but you may want
to take a look at my answer to brullonulla on the same topic...

-Richard