On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 11:47 -0400, Samuel Baldwin wrote:
> Also, does anyone know of a tool that allows you to play audio from a
> terminal? Basically, sending audio to standard audio out? I'd like to
> be able to listen to music (all .ogg and .mp3, if it makes a
> difference), while in runlevel 3. This is a side comment, and do not
> waste time answering this/looking it up if you don't know off hand.

My personal favorite is mpg321 (or ogg123 for OGG). Very efficient and
very customizable. Normally, it plays directly to your default libao
plugin (probably OSS or ALSA), but with the -s option, you can send raw
(headerless) 44100 kHz, 8 bit signed short audio to stdout for further
processing by e.g. sox. Call me a simpleton, but I often have lots of
fun with changing the playback sampling rate :)

mpg123 -vs somefile.mp3 | sox -t .raw -r 48000 -sw -c 2 - -t \
  ossdsp /dev/dsp

Have fun,
Fredrik Tolf