On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 12:40 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Alan Mckinnon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Can you be absolutely certain I'm wrong? Can you absolutely guarantee
> > that a recompile with a different config MUST be treated differently to
> > an upgrade?
>
> We are still talking about CFLAGS here, right?  Then ok, no, it is not
> _necessary_ to treat this differently than an upgrade in gcc versions.
>  One can happily run "emerge -e system; emerge -e world" and get to
> the same result.  But that doesn't change the fact that the emerge -e
> system step is redundant _in this case_.

I'd like to suggest at this point that we drop this thread. Because you
and I both understand the compile process well, but we seemed to have
gotten the wires crossed a few posts back and are talking about slightly
different scenarios.

You are right in saying that in this case, emerge -e system is
redundant, but your average gentoo-newbie is in no state to understand
why, or even care :-)

Besides, I really need to get going on figuring out why Sybase ASE won't
install here and play nicely with php5....

alan