Hi again,

As the handbook mentioned udev is default for Gentoo now.

I have 1479 devices and directories in /dev after startup Hmmm, wasn't
udev (and formerly devfs) meant to have only the devices needed?

Is hotplug still an issue or is it started by bootmisc? If i plug in my
USB stick (yes, I do have USB UHCI, EHCI, OHCI mass storage compiled
into the kernel) I can't mount it.

I remember some discussion about hotplug/coldplug and if coldplug makes
sense at all.

On the ~x86 installation based on 2005.0 there was no node in /dev for
sd*. If I plugged in the stick sda and sda1 came up and I could mount
sda1.

My questions:
Is the Gentoo UDEEV guide still valid for 2006.0?
How do I get rid of all these unneeded device nodes in /dev?
How do I ensure that devices plugged in while the system is up and
running arise (Emerging hotplug and add it to the default runlevel,
right?)?

Thanks in advance
Frank