On Thursday 24 August 2006 10:38, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I am not using the symlink flag and just to make sure I removed
> > the /usr/src/linux symlink and relinked it to the latest stable kernel
> > sources.  The only thing I can think of is that I used make oldconfig,
> > when I compiled a kernel with those sources - does it matter?
>
> I wouldn't think so...

I've looked into it a bit more.  The error refers to autoconf.h:
 KLIBCAS klibc/syscalls/umask.o
  KLIBCAS klibc/syscalls/chroot.o
In file included from linux/include/linux/linkage.h:4,
                 from linux/include/asm/signal.h:5,
                 from include/signal.h:13,
                 from klibc/fork.c:9:
linux/include/linux/config.h:6:28: warning: linux/include/linux/autoconf.h:
Permission denied
linux/include/linux/config.h:6:28: linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
  KLIBCAS klibc/syscalls/symlink.o
make[2]: *** [klibc/fork.o] Error 1

Looking at the access rights only root can play with it:
-rw-------  1 root root  47664 Aug 24 20:44 autoconf.h

Just in case, what's the autoconf.h access rights on your boxen?
--
Regards,
Mick