bijayant kumar schrieb:
> Marc,
>               I tried it also, but no luck this time also. Also i want to
> show you my /var/log/syslog also, which may be useful to rectify my problem :-
>

> Aug 28 16:18:01 bijayant slapd[8302]: conn=145 fd=16 ACCEPT from
> IP=127.0.0.1:49850 (IP=0.0.0.0:389)
> Aug 28 16:18:01 bijayant slapd[8302]: conn=145 op=0 BIND
> dn="cn=Manager,dc=kavach,dc=blr" method=128

What is it exactly, you are trying to do with
dn="cn=Manager,dc=kavach,dc=blr" ? This is your ldap rootdn. It is not a
unix-user.

> Marc Blumentritt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I looked again at your access rules in slapd.conf: try out these rules:
>

> -----
>
> access to attrs=userPassword,gecos,description,loginShell
> by dn="uid=root,ou=people,dc=kavach,dc=blr" write
> by anonymous auth
> by self write
> by * none
>
> access to *
> by dn="uid=root,ou=people,dc=kavach,dc=blr" write
> by users read
>
> -----

Next thing I just realized: in your /etc/ldap.conf you set
nss_base_passwd to "ou=People,dc=kavach,dc=blr?one", while above
"people" is not starting with a capital letter! Correct this and while
you are at it, change the access rules to this:

---
access to attrs=userPassword,gecos,description,loginShell
by dn="uid=root,ou=people,dc=kavach,dc=blr" write
by dn="cn=Manager,dc=kavach,dc=blr" write
by anonymous auth
by self write
by * none

access to *
by dn="uid=root,ou=people,dc=kavach,dc=blr" write
by dn="cn=Manager,dc=kavach,dc=blr" write
by users read
---

Since manager is your rootdn, he should have access to everything. In
fact, do you really want a root account in your ldap? I think you do not
need, so if you aggree, delete the root lines in your access rules.

How to you plan to add users to ldap? I mean, which tools you use?

Regards,
Marc