On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 14:16 +0100, Uwe Thiem wrote:
> On 28 August 2006 13:39, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> > > For DVDs, try this:
> > >
> > > mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd \
> > > -vf scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 \
> > > -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:\
> > > vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=4/3 \
> > > -ofps 25 -o outfile.mpeg infile
> >
> > wow! I just got around to trying that a couple of days ago and it
> > produces great output: fast, small file size, and no noticeable
> > difference in quality between the mpeg and the original dv! (I watched
> > many different clips many times over to make sure!  on TV and on my LCD)
> >
> > But: the mpeg doesn't seem to scale right.  My laptop display is
> > 1680x1050, and hence the original dv output (4:3) has black edges on
> > each side, but the converted mpeg plays "stretched", so that everybody
> > looks fat!
> >
> > Is this just a _player_ issue, or is it a problem with the encoding of
> > the mpeg itself?
> >
> > I noticed the command line has aspect=4/3 in it already, which is the
> > aspect of the original dv file...
>
> Maybe, the "scale" is wrong for you. How many frame lines do your originals
> have?

ummm.... blue :P

ie. I wouldn't have a clue... how do I tell (not an expert here).

I tried without the aspect option and the aspect seems to be correct
again.

> I actually overlooked "compressing to keep on my HD" in your original post.
> For that purpose, try:
>

> === begin script ===
> #! /bin/sh
>
> BITRATE="730"
>
> INFILE="dvd://"
[snip]

that seems to capture from dvd though? I may [not] have mentioned that
I'm capturing from video camera through kino to raw dv files.  I'm happy
with the mpeg2 format for storing on HD.

> Obviously, you have to adjust INFILE (can also be a real file)

oh, I should read the whole post first!

>  and OUTFILE.
> You should set "br" to 128 for music movies. Play with BITRATE for higher
> quality or smaller file size. Beware that it takes *ages* but look at the
> result!

I'll play with it.

thanks again!

Luck, that's when preparation and opportunity meet.
                -- P.E. Trudeau