Richard Fish wrote:
!!! You must have a complete (USE='-minimal') Perl install
  to use the perl backend!

Does your make.conf have minimal in USE?  If so, that is probably a
bad idea.  If there are specific packages you want to build with
minimal (like x.org), you should use /etc/portage/package.use for
that.

Thank your for your help. I have put "dev-lang/perl -minimal"
in my package.use, and doing "emerge -eav" again...

Concerning your opinion about minimal-flag:
I do have "minimal" and "-*" in global USE flags and I think
it is a good idea. Something that belongs to "gentoo spirit":
to start with minimum, and slowly add only functions which
I really want and need (something similar are good firewall
rules: start with everything denied, and open only what
you really need)...

Of course, sometimes one can hit the wall when the things
do not work as expected (like when I emerged mysql with
minimal flag, and it was not server, only client).

But this disadvantage is definitely worth having clean
and compact system, and that is what I like on gentoo.
After all, there are experienced users on list, who can
always help... :-)

Jarry