On Thursday 07 September 2006 23:34, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I'm upgrading my gcc from 3.x to 4.x. I've done the gcc
> switching, and now I'm updating my system.
>
> The recommended steps are:
>
>    # emerge -eav system
>    # emerge -eav world
>
> While emerging my system I received a message suggesting I
> run revdep-rebuild:
>
>    warning - be sure to run revdep-rebuild now
>
> My question is, should I run revdep-rebuild right after
> emerging the system, or should I wait until after I emerge
> world? My concern was that in between, my system is in an
> unstable intermediate state, and it might be damaged by a
> revdep-rebuild in between.

There's no need to run revdep-rebuild, whatever you do it will
be redundant. The notices you are seeing are primarily intended
for when you explicitly emerge packages that other packages may
link to. So everything that might be relevant to the notice you
see is going to be recompiled anyway when you run 'emerge -e
world'.

As previously noted on this list, the mention of using
revdep-rebuild as a shortcut when upgrading gcc was intended
for the move from 3.3 to 3.4 *only*. The specifics of that
upgrade made this shortcut possible, in all other upgrades you
definitely don't use it. i.e. the guide is in need of an uodate
to make this explicitly clear. If you need more info, ask
Richard for the inside dope - he's the resident gcc expert
around here :-)

alan