On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 00:22:51 -0700, Richard Fish wrote:

> On 9/7/06, Erik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Grant wrote:
>> > Does gcc-4.1 offer enough of an improvement to warrant remerging the
>> > whole system?
>> No, just remerge the packages that need to be remerged. Then emerge the
>> rest with gcc-4.1 when updates come.
>
> Why do you advise people to ignore the official gcc upgrade
> documentation and potentially break their systems?  Safely performing
> the gcc upgrade *requires* an emerge -e world.  Your system /might/ not
> break without that, and you are free to take that risk for your systems,
> but please do *not* recommend that others take on such risks.
>
> If you want to tell people your experiences, that's great, but be sure
> to separate the "what is recommended" from "what worked for me".
>
> -Richard

I could be entirely wrong on this, but I upgraded from 3.4.6 to 4.1.1 and
did not re-emerge system or world.

Actually, with all due respect, it is unnecessary to recompile anything
other than the programs which depend on libstdc++. One an application is
assembled, that's it. Unless you change something dramatic in your
make.conf file, such as CHOST, there is no compelling reason to redo the
entire system other than for exercising your hard disk and patience.

So I did the revdep-rebuild for libstdc++.so.6 and it returned 113 or so
ebuilds. One would not compile and needed an ~x86 version. The rest did.
Any programs that are emerged in the future will be compiled with the
current kernel.

IMVHO (or naiive opinion :)), this all you need to do. I've done 3 gcc
upgrades and have not emerged anything other than libstdc++ needed.

--
Peter
+++++
jabber: pete4abw at jabber.org