On Saturday 09 September 2006 06:24, b.n. wrote:

> > You really should do something when you see warnings like this.
> > net-im/aim was masked for removal more than five weeks ago. It was
> > removed from the tree yesterday. There are more viable alternatives so I
> > suggest you unmerge it and use something else.
>
> Huh?
> Usually I ignored these warnings unless there was a good reason to care
> about. What happens if I leave an old no more maintained package on my
> system? can I b0rk things?

Well, maybe it's just me but I prefer to get rid of warnings from emerge, get
revdep-rebuild to report nothing to rebuild and get emerge --depclean to
report nothing to remove. There are proper ways to fix all of these things.

In this particular case I guess the worst that can happen is that a security
hole in aim is discovered and since nobody is maintaining it you never get to
know...

--
Bo Andresen