On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:55:18 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:

> On Sunday 10 September 2006 13:18, Peter wrote:
>> For over two years, I took LC_* for granted. Never touched it, never
>> looked at it (snobbery of being en_US I suppose!). Now, with the 2006.1
>> profile, I am forced to learn an essential part of Linux. So now, I am set
>> with en_US and ISO8895-15 although I still don't know where the 02locale
>> file should have been set from. I manually created it.
>
> This is not connected to your profile or gcc upgrade. It's your glibc
> upgrade.
> glibc-2.4.x is stricter when it comes to syntax than glibc-2.3.x. Please show
> the output of:

I did not upgrade glibc. I recompiled it with the gcc-4.1.1 upgrade.

> # grep -v '^$\|^#' /etc/locale.gen
en_US ISO-8859-15

> # locale -a
en_US
en_US.iso885915
POSIX

> # locale
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ locale
LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15
LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_TIME="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_PAPER="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_NAME="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.ISO-8859-15"
LC_ALL=en_US.ISO-8859-15

> Also utf8 isn't the default in Gentoo (yet). /etc/env.d/03locale should have
> been created manually when you followed [1] given that you wanted utf8.

I don't have an 03locale file. I manually created an 02locale file.

> [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/utf-8.xml

I have a lot to learn. As I wrote, I took a lot for granted!

--
Peter
+++++
jabber: pete4abw at jabber.org