Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was 8 hours through the emerge -eav world part of upgrading gcc
> when it hit the pysol package it's not happy with. The messages are
> telling me I need to recompile python with Tkinter support and asked
> me to add dev/lang/python X tk to package.use, which I did. However
> emerge --resume won't go back and recompile python at this point and
> if I start over it's a 575 package compile job and I was already
> through about 200 of the packages.
>
>   Is there any way to get python updated and then to resume the
> remaining 375 packages where I am currently stopped?
>
>   Can I somehow save the file emerge --resume is currently using,
> emerge python with the changes, and then put the current worl list
> back in?
>
>   Better yet, can I somehow remove pysol from the list so the emerge
> --resume just stoarts from the next package?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

For future reference, you can preserve the resume in two ways.

1:  Rename /var/log/emerge.log to something else then go do what you
want and restore it after you are done.  I have done that a couple times.

2:  Open /var/log/emerge.log and put something in there you will find
easily.  You can put end of resume in all caps or something.  Go do what
needs doing then come back and delete everything back up to the line you
added, including the line you added.

I have not done that last one but have read it works well.

Also for furture reference since you likely already know this by now,
tkinter was replaced by tk.  If it helps you to feel any better, I found
out the same way you did.  Pysol failed to emerge for me too.  :-(

Hope that helps.

Dale
:-)  :-)