Hi,

I decided to purge Gnome from my system as I seldom run it. A
quick look in the gnome ebuild shows that it's a
ginormous -meta package, meaning I have some work ahead of me.

First I updated USE and removed gnome, gstreamer and other
gnome-related flags. I left gtk in for the likes of gimp which
I do use. Then manually unmerged a ton of gnome packages,
intending to finish up with 'emerge --depclean'
and 'revdep-rebuild' to fix the mistakes I'd made.

Imagine my surprise when remerging openoffice wants to pull in
half of gnome again. I can understand it needs gtk, I do not
understand why it wants evolution-data-server, gconf and
gnome-panel.

I know how to fix this, that's not my question. My question is
why on earth does an office suite depend on half a desktop
environment? And is there a (relatively) easy way to get my
system back to the state it would be in if I had always
had -gnome in USE all along?

alan