Michael Crute wrote:
USE="-* hardened pic ncurses ssl crypt berkdb tcpd pam perl python readline"

Even this is a bit more bloated than it needs to be. I have never used 'tcpd' or 'berkdb' on any system I run, and 'perl' and 'python' are *much* more useful (IMO) as local flags (in package.use) than as global ones. Even 'ssl' doesn't *have* to be there, especially in the global scope - 'www-client/links ssl' in package.use should be more than sufficient. One flag missing from that line that I like to have is 'bzip2' - tar just isn't quite the same without bz2 support. ;)

Also, be careful using the hardened flag without running the hardened profile. The hardened profile masks out a couple of packages and flags that don't work so well on a hardened system.

BTW, the flags with underscores in them (kernel_linux, userland_GNU, elibc_glibc, video_cards_radeon and such) are known as USE_EXPAND or expanded USE flags. VIDEO_CARDS and ALSA_CARDS are a couple you may be familiar with - when they're set in make.conf, emerge expands them automatically, so e.g. VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" gets expanded to USE="video_cards_radeon". KERNEL, USERLAND, and ELIBC are there for the use of packages that work differently on different systems - Gentoo/FreeBSD, Gentoo/OSX, and such - and should *only* be set by your profile.

Hope I've helped. :)

Ryan