On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 15:26:10 -0700, darren kirby wrote:

> I seem to recall getting bitten in the past by 'make install'. I think
> it overwrote my existing kernel, and insisted on running lilo (I use
> grub). I have just moved it manually since.
>
> I just had a look at 'make help':
>
>   install       - Install kernel using
>                    (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
>                    (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or
>                    install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
>
> Gentoo does have a /sbin/installkernel but it seems to be designed for
> Debian. Can you confirm then that this works fine on Gentoo and does
> _not_ try to run lilo?

Yes I can. I believe it runs lilo is lilo is present, because you need to
re-run lilo when installing a new kernel, but I use GRUB so that's not an
issue. The kernel is copied to vmlinuz-version (or vmlinux-version on
PPC, don't ask me why) and symlinked to vmlinuz. The previous kernel is
symlinked to vmlinuz.old. As long as your GRUB menu has entries for these
two names, you'll always be able to choose between your new and previous
kernel when booting, without even having to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst.

--
Neil Bothwick

MS-DOS: if you believe in a flat Earth, this is the OS for you.