Hi all,

I am looking at digital dvd/hard drive recorders for dvb, and I noticed
that a lot of them are coming out with usb nowadays.  However, all I can
find out about the usb port is that it is for usb _devices_ like usb
storage, not for an uplink to your PC.

I came across USB gadget support a while ago [1], but from their web
page it sounds like you need special hardware, not just any usb port:

        "Many Linux systems will not be able to use it, since they only have
PC-style USB Host (master) hardware in a PC..."

can I plug my laptop in so these devices see it as just a large hard
drive?  I would rather not go through two steps - eg. dvd recorder to
dvd to computer; or dvd recorder to usb hd, to computer.

Or alternatively, are there any recorders with a usb "uplink"?

thanks heaps!

[1] http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux
(Unknown source)