I'm looking at my email inbox after some of the recent activity in
revdep-rebuilds (whew!)
and standing out among the exhortations is this from MySQL (int part)

WARN: unpack
Previous datadir found, it's YOUR job to change
ownership and take care of it.

There's something off about this.  I never have used MySQL in person, though
I'm guessing it gets used by some packages.  So what am I to make of a message
like this?  The ownership and permissions look okay to me.  And I have no
idea what it means to "take care of it".

I don't expect myself to be clueful about all the hundreds (thousands?) of
packages I have installed.  I'd like them to be a bit more helpful, and perhaps
careful to state what the problem actually is, or might be.  Courteous wouldn't
be a bad idea either.

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD