If the problem is that your device is not mounted automatically you can
simply try
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/whatever
with the appropriate device and folder as root.

Apart from that you could check /etc/fstab for the "auto"-argument.

Or if this doesn't work you can check dmesg to see what happens to your
device.

Apart from this:
You SHOULD do emerge -u world. However emerge -uD world might be smarter...
Also don't forget to update your config-files with dispatch-conf or
etc-update.

hth
Paul