Hi

Don't know if this will help but I had a similar problem when I set up my archiving system. The problem was that I set it to use ssh which needs it own password and the password file was only used by rsync. the answer was to not use ssh and just use rsync client to rsync server. This was just over my lan but it solved the problem.

HTH

Stewart.

Iain Buchanan wrote:
Hi all,

I have a script that downloads my distfiles from machines on our LAN
before going over the internet.  It uses rsync over ssh to get files
locally, then defaults to wget for internet downloads.

The command line is basically this:
/usr/bin/rsync -avzP --password-file=<filename> rsync://<user>@<host/path>
<filename>"

which works fine most of the time, so I know the syntax, password and
permissions are correct.  However, sometimes rsync "dies" (the download
process just stops) and I get this sort of message:

Password: *password sent*

receiving file list ...
rsync: link_stat "/usr/portage/distfiles/Net-DNS-0.59.tar.gz" failed: No
such file or directory (2)
0 files to consider

sent 8 bytes  received 21 bytes  58.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1298) [receiver=2.6.8]

And the download won't continue - nor do I get the prompt back because
rsync seems to lock the script up at this point by not returning.  This
is really annoying when it stops at 3 of 50!  I don't mind killing it,
but sometimes this is supposed to run unattended...

Now fair enough, if the file doesn't exist, I can't rsync it, but most
of the time, this makes rsync just exit, and the script continues.

All I can get from google and docs is that code 23 is a "general" error,
meaning some read / write / delete failed.  I'm not out of disk space.

can anyone shed light on this issue?  thanks!