On 9/29/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 9/29/06, Ryan Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let me rephrase my question:  If I only use SATA drives, non RAID,
> they only run through the P975 southbridge, and I should be ok, right?

Well I don't own one of these things, but it looks like the SATA stuff
goes through the JMicron chip, while the RAID is provided by the 975.

I thought it was the other way around?

Southbridge
- 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
JMicron(r) JMB363 PATA and SATA controller
- 1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
- 1 x Internal SATA 3.0 Gb/s port
- 1 x External SATA 3.0 Gb/s port (SATA On-the-Go)
- Support SATA RAID 0, 1 and JBOD

(from
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1178&l1=3&l2=11&l3=307)

That seems to say that 4 SATA drives can go through the Southbridge
(P965, typo earlier, sorry)
--
Ryan W Sims

()  ascii ribbon