Hi,

 sorry for being off topic, but I think, folks of this list have the
 knowledge to answer my question and I have no idea who to ask else...

 I need to check from within a C-program whether the computer, the
 program is running on (OS: Linux), is connected to the ethernet. The
 program is running under root privilege. Before doing anything else
 with eth0, I want to check the link-LED of the ethernet card...so to
 say.

 I sthere any "legal" way to do such things under Linux?

 Thank you very much for any help and your understanding for my
 situation.

 Kind regards,
 mcc