Hi,

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:53:55 -0500 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 05 October 2006 14:44, Hans-Werner Hilse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] OT - ipkungfu not':
> > [...]
> > Note that the first 29 bits are all equal.
>
> In addition, the first 30 bits are all equal.

Yeah, stupid me :-) Shouldn't count to much bits when I ought to be asleep.

> > So it would be sufficient to
> > specify a /29 netmask (255.255.255.248).
>
> However, we can't specify a /30 because two addresses in each block
> (the highest and the lowest) are reserved for "network" (anycast)
> and "broadcast" (multicast).

While this is correct when going for the standard common
implementation, linux will happily accept a broadcast address _outside_
of the specified network (beware of routing issues). And anycast is
mainly a routing issue and AFAIK not even implemented in linux. Linux
will therefore happily accept an IP with all non network bits unset. I
don't recommend both in any way, cause different IP stacks may have
different opinions on that. That's why I wrote it is likely to break
routing and broadcasting.

-hwh