Hi,

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:25:47 +0200 Bo Ørsted Andresen
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 06 October 2006 13:08, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
> > > I'd like to install an experimental package with a different
> > > prefix, say /usr/local/test
> > > What should I write into the ebuild file?
> >
> > I don't think the ROOT environment variable when emerging is what
> > you want. I think you can just append "--prefix=/usr/local/test" to
> > the call to "econf". All of this assumes usage of autoconf, of
> > course. Another common approach is to set DESTDIR to
> > ${D}/usr/local/test for "make install".
>
> Probably a better a reference is [1]. I'm not sure why you don't
> think he wants the ROOT var.

Because it didn't sound like he was trying to set up a chroot
environment just for that package but rather make shure its installed
files don't cludder /usr. If ROOT is set, that will also emerge all
RDEPENDs into that.

> Also ${D} isn't where it's going to be
> installed to (in the ebuild qmerge sense - see `man ebuild'). It's
> where the image is going to be installed (the ebuild install sense -
> again see `man ebuild`).

Well, I'm not an English master, but I find your statement irritating.
The image gets installed into the real ROOT as set when emerging, i.e.
"/" in most cases (that's what qmerge does). The ebuild itself installs
what it has to install _into_ the image. So in terms of ebuild writing,
${D} is where you should install to. portage will care (ebuild qmerge)
for moving that over to the real ROOT.

> Also it's a var to be used internally in the
> ebuild only (which I assume you know). If I am correct about what he
> wants then the point is that there is no need to edit the ebuild file
> (otherwise it's a bug).

That's probably where our understanding differs: I think the question
was about ebuild writing or modification.

-hwh