i use xubuntu on an old laptop, and it's quite snappy.

although i'm sure you could get snappier results with gentoo

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Karl Huysmans wrote:

Hi All,

A friend asked me to install "some" operating system on an old Dell laptop
he got for free.

The laptop has a pentium 2 400 MHz, 6 GB HD and 256 MB RAM, and will be used
by his young children.

I have tried to install Edubuntu on it, looks nice, has a lot of very
usefull stuff for kids, but it really runs too slow on this machine.

So I was thinking Gentoo, optimized for PII, I guess -Os would be a good
option for this little machine. Any thoughts anyone?

What about the desktop? I guess Gnome or KDE is not really the best choice.
But what else could I use? Of course, it's for kids, so I have to be able to
make it look nice :-) What would be a good window manager? File manager?
Other applications that help to keep it lean an fast?

Anyone with any experience building such a system under Gentoo?

Thank you

Karl