Please see my reply to Neil re this thread

> Once you marked some directories from protection,
> emerge will, instead of
> using the file from a package, install the file from
> a package
> as ._cfg-<filename> (or somesuch).  Tools like
> dispatch-conf and
> etc-update are then used to merge your file with the
> one(s)
> named ._cfg-<filename>.

I replied(to Neil) before remembering why I put
CONFIG_PROTECT="-*" in my make.conf(if that's the
problem here). Now it comes back to me. Whenever I
used to emerge something there'd inevitably be a long
followup where I had to answer y/n to a list of files
that were due to be overwritten IIRC. From a forum I
was advised to write the above CONFIG_PROTECT line.
That's when was I new to gentoo and I haven't changed
it since.

But where is CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK, since grepping
make.conf only returns the one line, CONFIG_PROTECT?

-Maxim