Hi,

I am running gentoo kernel 2.6.15-r1
I recently updated xorg, and installed the new nvidia-drivers package.
Xorg now appears to be horribly broken.
The nvidia splash screen appears, then it faults out back to the command line.

Looking at Xorg.0.log, I have the following warnings and errors

Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (no such file or directory)
No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-auto-select" will be used as
the requested mode.
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/share/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing

Any assistance gratefully received.

Jeff