On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 10:04 +0200, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 October 2006 03:53, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > I worked around it by doing this:
> > $ cd /usr/lib
> > $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/libGL.so
> >
> > but I don't know that this is the right thing to do - how do I tell if
> > it actually works like this?
> [SNIP]
>
> # eselect opengl set ati
> Switching to ati OpenGL interface... done
>
> # readlink /usr/lib/libGL.so
> /usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/libGL.so
>
> # eselect opengl set xorg-x11
> Switching to xorg-x11 OpenGL interface... done
>
> # readlink /usr/lib/libGL.so
> /usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/libGL.so

$ sudo eselect opengl set ati
Switching to ati OpenGL interface... done

$ readlink /usr/lib/libGL.so
/usr/lib/opengl/ati/lib/libGL.so

looks fine.

$ sudo eselect opengl set xorg-x11
Switching to xorg-x11 OpenGL interface... done

$ readlink /usr/lib/libGL.so
$ <nothing returned>

looks wrong!

I did a bit of snooping, and found that libGL.so comes from mesa, so I
re-merged mesa (media-libs/mesa-6.5.1-r1) and it seems to be working
again:

$ readlink /usr/lib/libGL.so
/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/libGL.so

now, can googleearth work with mesa? it seems to lock-up at the splash
screen...

thanks!

  The good oxymoron, to define it by a self-illustration, must be a
  planned inadvertency. -Wilson Follett