On Sunday 22 October 2006 23:14, James wrote:

> I wanted to watch a football game over the internet using
> espn. It requires Windows Media Player. Will any of the
> Gentoo browsers support this format and if so, which ones
> and which plugins work best?
>
> Has anyone watched ESPN in a web browser on Gentoo, and if
> so any caveats or gotchas?

Last time I tried it didn't work with gxine, or xine.  As far as I can recall
the reason was that this website is using active-x scripting to establish a
SSL connection and the Linux apps/plugins do not (yet) have a way of parsing
that.  Otherwise, either xine or mplayer will happily play wmp streams.  It
may be more complicated than what I am alluding to above, but that's as far
as my understanding could take me.  ;-)

You could always write to the website master/admin and ask them to provide you
with a link that works without active-x, but they are such an exclusive
M$haft shop I'd wager you get a "we do not support anything else than Billy
Gate's shareholders . . ." type of response.
--
Regards,
Mick