On Wednesday 25 October 2006 02:58, Mick wrote:
r> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 01:55, Daniel D Jones wrote:
> >     Option      "MerdgedFB" "true"
>
> Not sure, but could this have something to do with it?

I believe it may have.  From what I've read, merged frame buffers are to allow
the use of 3D acceleration across multiple monitors by making it appear as
one large monitor, which is what appears to be happening.  When I right click
the desktop and go to properties, it shows only a single monitor.  Before, it
showed two.

As I said before, I don't really need 3D acceleration on this box.
Additionally, I don't believe acceleration works on a display larger than
2048 in either dimension and my virtual desktop is 3360 x 1050.  However,
without the MergedFB setup, I get mirrored displays rather than a stretched
display.  The Dual Monitor Howto, which I linked to in my first post, says to
use the MergedFB option, and it also says to turn on xinerama.  If my
understanding of MergedFB is correct and it's working as designed and
presents a virtual single display, then xinerama isn't going to work because
it can't distinguish between the two displays.  So I don't know if my
understanding of how this is supposed to work is incorrect, if the HowTo is
simply FUBARed or what.