Thanks Stuart,

It seems that it is a ver 1000 device and I have managed to get it (partly)
working with the rt2x00 driver using the rt2500usb compile flag.  This is
what the USB port shows:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 050d:7050 Belkin Components F5D7050 ver 1000 WiFi
> > Device Descriptor:
> >   bLength                18
> >   bDescriptorType         1
> >   bcdUSB               2.00
> >   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
> >   bDeviceSubClass         0
> >   bDeviceProtocol         0
> >   bMaxPacketSize0        64
> >   idVendor           0x050d Belkin Components
> >   idProduct          0x7050 F5D7050 ver 1000 WiFi
> >   bcdDevice            0.01
> >   iManufacturer           1 Belkin
> >   iProduct                2 Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter
> >   iSerial                 0
> >   bNumConfigurations      1
> >   Configuration Descriptor:
> >     bLength                 9
> >     bDescriptorType         2
> >     wTotalLength           32
> >     bNumInterfaces          1
> >     bConfigurationValue     1
> >     iConfiguration          0
> >     bmAttributes         0x80
> >     MaxPower              300mA
> >     Interface Descriptor:
> >       bLength                 9
> >       bDescriptorType         4
> >       bInterfaceNumber        0
> >       bAlternateSetting       0
> >       bNumEndpoints           2
> >       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
> >       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
> >       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
> >       iInterface              0
> >       Endpoint Descriptor:
> >         bLength                 7
> >         bDescriptorType         5
> >         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
> >         bmAttributes            2
> >           Transfer Type            Bulk
> >           Synch Type               None
> >           Usage Type               Data
> >         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
> >         bInterval               0
> >       Endpoint Descriptor:
> >         bLength                 7
> >         bDescriptorType         5
> >         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
> >         bmAttributes            2
> >           Transfer Type            Bulk
> >           Synch Type               None
> >           Usage Type               Data
> >         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
> >         bInterval               0
> > Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
> >   bLength                10
> >   bDescriptorType         6
> >   bcdUSB               2.00
> >   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
> >   bDeviceSubClass         0
> >   bDeviceProtocol         0
> >   bMaxPacketSize0        64
> >   bNumConfigurations      1

The problem is that this driver does not seem to provide the connection speed
to the ap, and it does not like shutting down and restarting the device (it
crashes and I get a kernel oops).  I'll be sending a report to the driver
developer when I get a minute.  Meanwhile, I'd appreciate if you could tell
me which chip this USB WiFi adaptor has.

Kind regards,
Mick