Howdy,

The other week I unmasked the nvidia beta drivers, then unmasked
X 7.1.  Well and good.

Until I tried to run google earth.  This was a first for me.  Totally
unresponsive
system, spawning ksysguard processes about every other second.  Couldn't
ctrl-alt-Fn, couldn't keep the focus in a konsole long enough to do
anything.
Finally had to power down.

After powering back up and killing a ton of ksysguard processes, examined
the googleearth ebuild.  It looks like it uses a provided installer.  My
guess
is the installer senses the environment and sets configuration options.

Re-emerging googleearth solved the main issue.

The ebuld looks like it has a dependency on the version of X and
nvidia-drivers.
Not sure why my system didn't require a rebuild when I upgraded X.  YMMV.

Still have a side-effect where the ksysguard applet can not connect to the
localhost.

HTH,
Roy

--

ruby -e 'puts "qnxv?bhrbn-bnl".tr(" -}","!-~")'