b.n. wrote:
> Dale ha scritto:
>
>> If you use XFS, make sure you have good power.  XFS does not like power
>> failures at all.  I have had to reinstall on a second rig because of
>> this very problem.  If you have a UPS, that may be OK.
>
> Thanks a lot for the advice. Power outages do happen and I don't have
> an UPS. Why does it happen? Isn't XFS journaled?
>
> m.

I had the exact same thing happen twice.  It ran every other file system
just fine, but XFS with one power failure and it was unbootable from
then on.

I don't know why I just know that I used Reiserfs after that and it
worked fine, even after power failures, lots of them too.

That said, nothing is perfect.  A UPS is a good idea even if it can only
last long enough for a proper shutdown.

Dale

:-)  :-)