Hope that you get a more useful response.... FWIW, I Had precisely these symptoms on my Sony 2200 laptop - and can't tell you why - but it is rock sold now. I think there were two things going on:

1. This might be a "kill" switch? Some of my problems were certainly due to the kill switch. I finally noticed that the little wireless LEDs were off. I had turned them off while using the windows OS - given that it is susceptable to the wonderful new driver attacks - and had failed to turn it on when booting up hardened Linux (which I believe is NOT susectable to the driver buffer overflows).

2. I also suggest a step by step walk-through of the following page (check your kernel config).

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_ipw2200

P.S. Contrary to their suggestion, I emerged the latest driver/firmware from portage.

Newbie. (HTH; good luck.)