Be sure DRI is working.  use glxinfo if you need to verify if it's active.

If you don't have DRI working, then most of the graphics will be done
on CPU.  Or at least that's how my laptop did it.

On 10/29/06, Richard Fish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/29/06, Tomáš Bartoň <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 October 2006 13:36, Marco Calviani wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >   the slowness of AIGLX was due to the fact that i was running
> > xorg-server without enabling the aiglx flag. After having enabled it
> > xorg started running with AIGLX (using compiz or beryl).
> > Although the system is quite usable there is still an issue: i thought
> > the system would have relied completely on video card acceleration.
> > However whenever i run an AIGLX effect such as the cube or just window
> > moving the CPU goes up to 80-90% during all the time the effect is
> > running. This behaviour makes the system A LOT less responsive than it
> > is without AIGLX.
> > Is this a known issue?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > MC
>
> I tkink its normal. I run beryl with NVidia driver and when I move a window or
> something the CPU goes up to 100% ...

Hmm, I also have an nvidia GPU, and my system doesn't exhibit this
behavior.  Of course, I get the black-windows bug due to a memory leak
in the drivers, but certainly no excessive CPU usage for any of the
beryl effects.

-Richard