Hi Iain,

I think it can depend on the driver.  With some versions of ati-drivers,
the CPU is used to help the GPU, and I get great frame rates.  With
other version of ati-drivers (including 8.28.8 and 8.29.6) the cpu
usages stays low for all 3d, and I get crap framerates...

don't know if this is your issue, but it sounds similar.

actually i'm not running with the ati proprietary drivers, but instead
with the opensource drivers included inside Xorg 7.1.  I've read
somewhere that AIGLX doesn't works with ati-drivers....

regards,
mc