On 30/10/06, Michael Sullivan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I know my subject line is a little melodramatic, but this is really
frustrating.  I frequently have processes that killall doesn't kill and
kill -9 <pid> doesn't touch.  For instance, this is taken from top:

24135 root      16   0  229m  35m 1064 S  0.3 59.7   8:52.11 javadoc

I have Cntrl+C on the emerge (five minutes ago) and I've issued multiple
killall javadocs and kill -9 24135 and still it runs.  Is there a way of
getting rid of this process short of rebooting the machine?

I remember having troubles doing ctr-C on mounts which I knew were
going to time out, and I was told that you couldn't kill it while it
was inside a kernel call or something to that effect. Of course, I
would thing that mount is going to get tied up in kernel stuff much
more often than something like javadoc, so I really don't know if it's
the same sort of problem.

Hope this helps
       Henk Boom